Have you recently developed a passion for playing Fortnite? Did you have to replace your old laptop with Chromebook and are now wondering, ‘How to play Fortnite on Chromebook?’. We have answered all your questions regarding playing the game of Fortnite on Chromebook in this blog post.
Online video games are no longer just a source of entertainment, as they have become the passion and even the livelihood of millions of people across the world. Video games are available in various genres and sub-genres, such as action, adventure, action-adventure, battle royale, simulation, sports, puzzlers, role-playing, multiplayer online battle arena, sandbox, strategy, and survival.
New video games keep getting launched by the developers in the market to woo the people who love gaming. It’s not difficult for any online video game to become popular these days owing to the widespread communities of professional and non-professional gamers.
One of the games that have become immensely popular in today’s time is ‘Fortnight’. It is an online video game that belongs to the ‘battle royale’ genre and ‘battle arena’ and ‘survival’ sub-genres. Battle arena or multiplayer online battle arena is a sub-genre in the video game genre of strategy. Two teams of players compete against each other in games belonging to this sub-genre. Every player plays with the purpose of defeating opponents in a battle.
Survival is also a sub-genre in the field of video gaming. It comes under the genre of action video games. Games belonging to the survival sub-genre are set in an open world where the environment is too hostile. Players have to survive by not just tolerating hunger and thirst but also fighting off enemies. Every player begins with only a few pieces of equipment and limited inventories. Players have to craft useful pieces of equipment as they move forward in the game.
Find Out How to Play Fortnite on Chromebook?
There are multiple methods using which you can play Fortnite on your Chromebook. In this section, we have explained, in detail, different methods using which you can play Fortnite on your Chromebook. Depending on your preference and convenience level, you can choose one or more methods. Now let’s jump to the steps you need to follow.
Sideloading the Fortnite Android Application
Fortnite can be downloaded and played on an Android device easily. You can access the Android version of the Fortnite game on your Chromebook with the help of the steps mentioned below. The method of sideloading the Fortnite Android application basically involves playing Fortnite using an APK file. If you want to use this method, you should ensure that your Chromebook has an ARM processor.
- Enable ‘Developer Mode’ on your Chromebook. In order to do so, you have to restart the Chromebook and go to settings. You need to press CTRL + SHIFT = J, as this is the shortcut to enable developer mode and access developer tools. Then, press CTRL + SHIFT + M to change the view to the mobile version.
- You can access the Google Play Store on your Chromebook when your Chromebook is in developer mode.
- Then, go to settings and press on the ‘Apps’ icon. Next, tap on the ‘enable Apps installation from Play Store on your Chromebook’ option.
- Click on the ‘More’ button and tap on the ‘I agree’ button.
- Now go to the ‘App Settings’ menu and then go to the ‘Security’ section within it. Click on the option ‘enable installation from unknown sources’. This step is necessary to download the Fortnite APK file because the Chromebook has been designed to prevent installation from unknown sources by default.
- Next, you need to install a file manager app. You can install any file manager app from the Google App Store. If you want, you can check the reviews of some apps before choosing the one to install.
- Download the APK file of the Fortnite game. Open the file manager app you have installed and install the Fortnite APK file.
Using Chrome Remote Desktop Stream
As mentioned earlier in this blog post, the method of downloading the Fortnite APK file, i.e., the Android version of the Fortnite game works only in the case of those Chromebooks that have an ARM processor.
Therefore, those Chromebooks that have an AMD processor or an Intel processor cannot be used to download the APK file and play Fortnite. If you have such a Chromebook and are wondering, ‘how to play Fortnite on Chromebook’, worry not, as you can use another method. This method involves using Chrome Remote Desktop Stream.
But you must have a Windows PC if you want to use this method. You can access and play the Fortnite game remotely from your PC on your Chromebook. The app will run on your PC, but you can play the game on your Chromebook. It becomes possible with the help of ‘Chrome Remote Desktop’, which is a remote desktop software tool developed by Google. Users can access and control the desktop of another computer by using this tool.
- Download the Fortnite game on your PC.
- Click on the ‘Add to Chrome’ option and install Chrome Remote Desktop from the Chrome Web Store on both your Chromebook and Windows PC.
- You need to ensure that both the PC and Chromebook are linked to the same Google account.
- Now launch the Chrome Remote Desktop web app on your PC and Chromebook.
- Click on the ‘+ Generate Code’ button under the ‘Share this screen’ tab in the Chrome Remote Desktop web app on your Chromebook. A code will appear that will stay valid for five minutes.
- Enter the code under the ‘Connect to another computer’ section in the Chrome Remote Desktop web app on your PC. Then, click on the ‘Connect’ button. A prompt will ask for your permission for remote access on your Windows PC.
Once you complete the steps listed above, you will be able to play the Fortnite game on your Chromebook.
Using Nvidia GeForce Cloud Gaming Service
You have seen how to play Fortnite on Chromebook by downloading the Android version of the game and using the Chrome Remote Desktop. Now, let’s see how you can play the Fortnite game on your Chromebook with the help of Nvidia GeForce.
Nvidia GeForce is the brand of cloud gaming service provided by Nvidia. You can use this cloud-based streaming service to play games that are hosted on remote servers. You can stream the games you want to play using the internet. GeForce Now is available on various devices and operating systems. Chromebooks support GeForce Now.
- Open a browser on your Chromebook and visit the official website of GeForce Now.
- Tap on the ‘Join Now’ button located at the top right corner of the website. If you already have a subscription to the GeForce Now cloud gaming service, you should go to the login page on the website.
- You will be able to see all the membership plans offered by Nvidia GeForce Now once you click on the Join Now button. You need to select a plan that suits your needs and budget.
- When you click on the ‘Join’ button for any of the plans, you will be redirected to Nvidia’s portal, where you have to sign up or log in. You need to enter your email address and other details to create a new account.
- Click on the ‘Create Account’ button and give the necessary permissions. Confirm the details and settings of your account and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Now login to your Nvidia GeForce Now account and search for the Fortnite game in the search bar at the top. Fortnite is available for free on GeForce Now. Once you find the game, you can add it to your library and play it whenever you want.
- You might be able to find the game in the ‘Free-to-Play’ section on the homepage. Click on the game to expand the listing. Click on the ‘Play’ button. You need to log in to your Epic Games account and link it to your Nvidia GeForce Now account.
You can play Fortnite on your Chromebook after following the steps mentioned above. You will be able to launch the Fortnite game in the browser. You must have a stable internet connection to play Fortnite on the Chromebook with the help of this method.
We have shown how to play Fortnite on Chromebook using three different methods. You can choose the most suitable method from them. You can also switch between two or three methods as per your convenience.
Is Chromebook an Ideal Device to Play Fortnite?
Before learning how to play Fortnight on Chromebook, let’s see whether Chromebook is the right device to play this game or not. Fortnite is a free-to-play battle royale game in which players survive by battling other characters. This game offers several game modes for every type of player. The characters in the game are controlled by either the game itself or other players.
Various platforms or devices on which you can play Fortnite include but are not limited to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4 Slim, Xbox One, Xbox One Series X|S, Xbox One S, Nintendo Switch, Windows, iOS, iPadOS, and Android. You can download Fortnite on gaming consoles, computers, laptops, and smartphones.
Those who want to know how to play Fortnight on Chromebook first wonder whether they can play Fortnite on Chromebook or not. A Chromebooks are powered by ChromeOS, which is an operating system made by Google. ChromeOS is a secure, stable, and speedy operating system as it is based on the Linux kernel. It is a lightweight and powerful operating system.
But when it comes to playing Fortnite or any other video game, Chromebook is not an ideal device, owing to its technical configuration. However, if you are willing to try playing this game on your Chromebook or have no option other than using Chromebook, we have you covered. You should choose a suitable method from the methods we have described in the previous section.
We hope we have satisfactorily answered all your questions regarding playing Fortnite on Chromebook. If you have something to share, please use the comment box below.